This coming weekend, Saturday 11/4 and Sunday 11/5, will be the final weekend of apple picking for the 2017 season. We still have plenty of apples including Fuji and Rome ripe and ready to be picked. These last season varieties are great for storing to get you through the winter. For our final weekend, come pick 1/2 bushel of apples and get the second 1/2 you-pick bushel for free - a perfect way to stock up!
Here are a few tips on storing apples once you pick them:
- Pick and transport apples gently, avoid bumps, bruises, nicks and dents
- Try to leave the stem on when picking
- Minimize the time between picking and refrigeration.
- Store in a perforated bag (or other container that is not air tight) in the crisper drawer of your fridge
- Monitor regularly and remove any spoiled fruit. One bad apple really does spoil the whole bunch!